Thursday, November 4, 2010

Peter Beard


I first saw Peter Beard's work in the Olsen Twins' Book Influence and have been hooked ever since. He's a master of a whole other realm of collage. Even though it's obviously affected, Beard's photographs appear to be completely untouched and natural. There's something animalistic in each picture's energy. Its hard to say exactly what it is that brings out the natural and alluring grit of each piece, but they just make me want to stare for hours.
I couldn't believe that I even forgot about Beard until I came across shots of Eva Mendes for Above Magazine.

This prompted some more re-exploration. Having lived in Africa for many years, Beard has been known to photograph wildlife but also several celebrities and supermodels like Iman, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, and Versuchka. Some of his own friends included Andy Warhol, Jackie Onasis, and Bianca Jagger. Bead's collages began in his young age and stemmed from his love for photography. Here are some more of my favorites to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment