Friday, January 22, 2010

The Breakfast Club

This past week in my psychology class, I've been watching The Breakfast Club. It's been so long since I last saw this movie that I almost forgot how much I loved it. Watching this movie for the first time I wanted so badly to be as pretty as Claire (Molly Ringwald), fall in love with a delinquent like John Bender (Judd Nelson) who would be so cool yet such a dick to me, and befriend kids like Allison (Ally Sheedy), Andrew (Emilio Estevez) and Brian (Anthony Michael Hall) through a deep confessional after lighting joints in an impressively large school library.
It wasn't until this week that all these feelings of excitement, happiness and envy came rushing back and I transformed into an overnight Breakfast Club manic. I eventually stumbled upon this beautifully assembled set of screencaps. Not all of them are up here, I just chose my favorites along with some memorable quotes from the movie.
The Breakfast club (1985)
Saturday, March 24, 1984.
Shermer High School
Shermer, Illinois 60062
MRS. JOHNSON: Well, get in there and use the time to your advantage!
BRIAN: Mom, we're not supposed to study. We just have to sit there and do nothing.
MRS. JOHNSON: Well, mister, you figure out a way to study!

BENDER: Eat my shorts.
ahh, dandruff art.
BENDER: Being bad feels pretty good, huh?
VERNON: What if your home... what if your family... what if you dope was on fire?
BENDER: Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear.
burning in the library

BENDER: How come you got so much shit in your purse?
CLAIRE: How come you have so many girlfriends?
BENDER: I asked you first.
CLAIRE: I don't know. I guess I never throw anything away.
BENDER: Neither do I.
ANDREW: What do they do to you?
ALLISON: They ignore me.
ANDREW: Yeah.
ALLISON: It was a hand gun?
BRIAN: No, it was a flare gun.
"We are not alone
'Cause when you cut down to the bone
We're really not so different after all"
CLAIRE: You know you really do look a lot better without all that black shit in your eyes.
ALLISON: Hey! I like that black shit.
BENDER: You know how you said before how your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be outstanding in that capacity?
BENDER: See you next Saturday.
"Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down"
Dear Mr. Vernon,
We accept the fact that we have had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong, but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who wee think we are. You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms with the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question?
Sincerely yours,
The Breakfast Club

No comments:

Post a Comment