Friday, January 29, 2010

Ferris Bueller's Day Off


After watching The Breakfast Club, I couldn't help myself and went on a John Hughes film watching "binge", and by binge I mean also watching Ferris Bueller's Day off. I was lucky enough to find the John Hughes commentary on this film. I've seen it a million times before and Ferris Bueller is one of my favorites. He's hands down, the coolest guy I've ever met, even if it was through the television screen. You might even say this character was what put Matthew Broderick on the movie map. Ferris was the kind of kid I wish I had known in real life and sometimes even aspired to be myself.
As the back of the movie reads:
Ferris Bueller. Larger than life. Blessed with a magical sense of serendipity. He's a model for all those who take themselves too seriously. A guy who knows the value of a day off. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" chronicles the events in the day of a rather magical young man, Ferris. One spring day, toward the end of his senior year, Ferris (Matthew Broderick) gives into an overwhelming urge to cut school and head for downtown Chicago with his girl (Mia Sara) and his best friend (Alan Ruck), to see the sights, experience a day of freedom and show that with a little ingenuity, a bit of courage and a red Ferrari, life at 17 can be a joy.
I love Jeannie's little mouth wipe/hand gesture here. So immature but so great. These beginning scenes of the movie really summed up teenagers as a whole, although they seem innocent, they are really capable of much more. For example, Ferris diceiving his parents by acting like a small, helpless child while he has greater plans to spend the day skipping school or the way he childishly plays with his hair in the shower while talking about politics.

Growing up, I watched Ben Stein on the Fox news business program block "The Cost of Freedom". In between "Bulls & Bears" and "Forbes on Fox" there was "Cavuto on Business". Every weekend morning, I would wake to the sounds of Ben Stein's voice arguing away with Neil Cavuto and Jack Welch on politics and the economy. So you can imagine what a strange sense of nostalgia I had seeing him as Ferris's high school teacher.
"Anyone, Anyone?"

Here we have Ferris dancing to the theme song for "I dream of Jeanie", and then we cut to a seriously peeved Jeanie Bueller. haha.














No comments:

Post a Comment